Monday, May 6, 2013

These are a Few of my Favorite Things

Some of my favorite things, unrelated to Cornell:
- Color: orange, but I own a lot of lime green clothing.  At least I’m easy to spot in a crowd.
- Planet: Pluto, which is a planet
- Sports team: New England Revolution*
- TV show: Jeopardy! (though I was recently introduced to Star Trek)
- Movie: Lord of the Rings. The entire trilogy.
- Quotes*: Don’t panic.
Nobody tosses a dwarf.
Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.
- Movement of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto: 3rd.
- Scientific calculator: Casio fx-300ES. Don’t get me started on what I think of TI scientific calculators. (And yes, I was in math team in high school. For four years.)

And now my favorite things about Cornell:
- the Big Red Pep Band: It’s big, it’s red, but no, it’s not a dog. It does, however, show up to dozens of sporting events at Cornell including, but not limited to, sprint football, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, lacrosse, and of course, hockey. There’s just something about freezing at Schoellkopf stadium while the lacrosse team scores over fifteen goals and we get to play variations on Davy (our fight song) or being in Lynah rink and watching the hockey team score a game winning goal with one second left. We’re finishing up the spring season with lacrosse, but don’t worry, we’ll be back next fall.

- Cornell Outdoor Education: They offer not only climbing, but also hiking, and skiing, and all sorts of my other favorite activities featuring dirt and sweat. Taking PE classes with COE does cost money, but it’s completely worth it. As in, rock climbing is one of my new favorite activities and I go to the wall when I should be doing homework at least a couple times a week.

- the clock tower and chimes concerts: I like music, and I like walking, so naturally I like getting to hear live music as I’m walking to class. One of my favorite things I've heard is still “Under the Sea” during Hurricane Sandy.

- AAIV (Asian American Intervarsity): Some of the first people I met at Cornell (after the people in my dorm) were members of AAIV. They were mostly friendly and welcoming, and since then, I've had some incredibly amusing dinner conversations, gotten to go care packaging and reverse trick or treating, participated in a photo scavenger hunt in RPCC (it was too dark to go out on campus), and just enjoyed their fellowship, among other things.

- the trail around Beebe Lake: Recently I've been going out running more because I probably should get some exercise rediscovered my love for sweating and going in circles. The trail around the lake is about one mile long and features great views and lots of geese. It’s also nice because I prefer running on dirt or grass rather than on the road or on a track.

- Cornell Productions: As it turns out, I really like the backstage aspect of setting up and taking down shows and events. So far, I've been allowed to set up lights, help set up sound, stack chairs and stands, and coil and gaff wires. It’s been a lot of fun.

- This place: Three more years. I can’t wait.

*Virtual bonus points to anyone who knows what sport the Revolution play without looking them up. Similarly, name the origins and speakers of the quotes and receive an internet high five from me. Feel free to leave responses in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment