Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Time Space Paradox

In my recent studies in advanced quantum physics introductory course to computer programming, I have come to the conclusion that you can either be fast or small.  Your program will either take half a millisecond and the memory of a supercomputer or the memory space of a pocket calculator and three years to run.  (Figures may be slightly exaggerated.)

I do have to say that I enjoyed my brief foray into the world of computer programming.  Not enough to become a CS (computer science) major, but enough to maybe take another programming class in the future.  Maybe.  If I’m not too busy memorizing carbon groups and maximizing yields from chemical processes.

Meanwhile, the last month or so of spring semester at Cornell managed to speed past, be incredibly time consuming, and require approximately one hundred percent of my available memory space.  How’s that for a time space paradox?  Besides finishing up my second round of prelims, I had work assignments every week, spent too much some time at the climbing wall, went to almost every pep band event, and ended with finals.

It was a little busy up on the hill.  But spring finally came to Ithaca, and it was a good month overall.

Spring on campus

I didn't fail any of my prelims, heard some good concerts at Bailey, had a lot of fun at lacrosse games, started working on some routes at the climbing wall, and . . . took finals.  No, I don’t really have anything good to say about taking finals.  I had two of my finals in Barton – the gym has an indoor track inside, to give you some idea of how big the space is.  The other one was in the Statler auditorium and the professor and the TAs didn't show up until five minutes after the final was scheduled to start.

All things considered, it was a solid finish to my first year of college. Don’t worry, you’re still going to hear about what I did in more detail. I’m kind of behind on posting, so this is partly a quick update on my life and partly an explanation for the drop off in posts during May. Still to come: a report from the pep band’s day trip to Maryland, some of my more athletic endeavors, several recaps on the semester and year, and probably more about food. . . . Definitely more about food.

No comments:

Post a Comment