Thursday, May 30, 2013

Road Tripping: Maryland - NCAA lacrosse, part 2

Last time, we left off with Cornell maintaining a two-goal lead over Maryland. (Two goals isn't a lot in lacrosse. It’s usually pretty “safe” in other sports, but then again, you could be the Revolution, go into the half leading 4-1, and then go on to tie the game. @Philadelphia Union, September 7, 2011. I heard this one on the radio for myself. Not forgetting it anytime soon.)

Then about ten minutes into the second half, Cornell started scoring and pulling ahead of Maryland. By the time we reached the final minutes of the game, Cornell had an eight-goal lead, and unless Maryland was going to score a goal every fifteen seconds, we were moving on in the tournament. Cornell finished the game for a 16-8 victory, and it made facing the six hours in a bus back to Ithaca so much less miserable.

Plus, the band got to be on TV. Here’s the story: we played “Give my Regards to Davy” (our fight song, usually just referred to as Davy) seventeen or eighteen times and the one time they televised us playing it, we were doing horizontal running Davy.  (After fifteen goals, we start doing variations on Davy – horizontal running Davy involves lying on your back on the bleachers and kicking your legs in the air like you’re running . . . while playing Davy.  Not my idea.)  Thank you, national TV.  But if anyone has some sort of screenshot
of the pep band on TV from this game(Sunday, May 12 at noon, Cornell vs. Maryland men’s NCAA Division I lacrosse), feel free to send it my way. I (and the band) would appreciate it.

View of the game from the pep band's seats

After the game, we left the stadium in high spirits and started the six hour bus ride back to Cornell. At some point in the afternoon, most of the band fell asleep . . . again. Hey, riding the bus takes a lot out of a person.  I mean, it’s high intensity cardiovascular activity mentally straining we were tired college students.  Along the 
way, we stopped for dinner, and then climbed back on the bus for the last leg of our journey.

By the time we reached the band room (four whole minutes early) it was late, so I hauled myself back to my dorm room, ignored the fact that I could have been studying for my math final, and went to sleep. Completely worth it. And if I’d been around the next Saturday (I had just gotten home the Friday night before) I would've done the trip again.

(Cornell beat Ohio State at that game 16-6, but lost the weekend after that to Duke. The game was televised on ESPN2, which I’m only slightly more convinced exists than ESPN U.)

No comments:

Post a Comment