Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What I've Learned at Cornell

If you were hoping for a deep and philosophical discussion of my Cornell education thus far, keep hoping. One may eventually appear on this blog, but not today. Today I present my (almost serious) compilation of things that Cornell has taught me, both inside and outside the classroom. 

1. How to read Braille (at least the first five letters of the alphabet). I actually learned this from my iClicker. I think it’s pretty cool that they put Braille on the remote, and after a few weeks, I've learned to recognize the letters A through E in Braille.


2. Don’t eat the mixed seafood. Usually when I go to the dining hall, I’ll just get in line at the main food station and eat whatever they’re serving. I've had various unknown grains (I still don’t know what quinoa is), the mystery root vegetable (after some research I think it’s either parsnip or turnip), and the turkey gravy that looks an awful lot like leftover turkey from the night before. So when I say don’t eat the mixed seafood, that’s saying something. I tried it once, and that was enough. It consists of some weird soupy gravy with vegetables and other strange objects floating around that I presume is supposed to be seafood of some kind.

3. If you keep things long enough, sometimes they become useful again. Turns out that since I joined pep band, my lyre and flip folder (from my freshman year of high school) are being put to work again.

4. Peanut butter goes with anything. It’s not just for sandwiches. Tastes particularly good with apples and bananas (and probably other fruit, but I wouldn’t really know; the dining hall only has apples, bananas, oranges, and occasionally pears or plums) and anything chocolate. Also, Cornell makes their own peanut butter, and it’s especially amazing.

5. Lastly, always have an extra pair of socks. The only thing more miserable than dragging yourself a mile across campus to get to class in rain, snow, sleet, or any mixture of the three is dragging yourself a mile across campus in rain, snow, or sleet, and then sitting through class with wet socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment