Friday, February 8, 2013

Food, which rhymes with Froude*

Some people may have been wondering what I've been eating at Cornell when I’m not in the dining hall (translation: I haven’t had a Skype conversation with my parents without them asking me what I had for dinner).  The answer is that it depends.

For example, one weekend last semester it must have been a dark and stormy night or something, because I didn't feel like leaving my dorm for dinner and I wasn't that hungry anyway.  I had some cereal and dining hall fruit, so I made myself Cheerios with peanut butter and a banana and turned it into dinner with a side of ChemE.

Dinner, with Intro to ChemE homework, my favorite scientific
calculator, colored pencils, and ruler
The next picture is a dinner I packed for myself before a hockey game a couple weekends ago.  The pep band reports an hour before game time, so while most people can have dinner around six and then go to the game, the band has to eat at five, pack dinner, or not eat.  That night I chose to pack my dinner instead of going to the dining hall at five (on the plus side, if you ever go that early it’s really easy to find a seat and you don’t have to wait in lines).  I had another dining hall banana with peanut butter, a leftover granola bar, and a rice crispy that I may have hacked up to fit in my container.  I’m pretty sure I also brought applesauce.


For this semester, I downgraded my meal plan, so I've been continuing to make my own breakfast, but I also have to get four meals a week outside of the dining halls.  One of the lunches I made recently (by made I mean threw into my container) consisted of an apple, a granola bar with peanut butter, Oreos, and wheat thins.  I’d like to point out that my meals all at least have a fruit, protein (peanut butter counts), and carbohydrates.  Occasionally I also get yogurt for dairy.


When I am in the dining hall, I've been taking the opportunity to experiment with my food.  The other day I had a cream cheese and peanut butter sandwich, which was surprisingly good.  I've also had frosted flakes and pudding, cereal with ice cream, and a good standby is always apple or banana with peanut butter, caramel, and chocolate.

The bottom line here is that I'm eating.  Actual food.  Really.

*The Froude number is a dimensionless group that is a ratio of an object’s inertia to gravity. It’s pronounced as if it rhymes with “food,” not “cloud.” Just another thing I learned in Intro to ChemE.

No comments:

Post a Comment