Monday, December 23, 2013

Everything I Needed to Know

I fortunately did not learn on the internet, however, I have occasionally come across useful information/recipes/dating advice.

For one, I got the idea for hot dog corn muffins, which were surprisingly good. By the way, cornbread should, as a rule, be sweet. Just saying. I’ve also turned to the internet to determine what is acceptable to put into a strawberry banana smoothie (basically, strawberries . . . and bananas), and since the recipe had to specify that you should peel the bananas, there may be people more pathetic in the kitchen than I am. On second thought . . .

Then there was the time I was on one of those newfangled internet chat forum things and

Over Thanksgiving I found out that you really shouldn’t refrigerate tomatoes. I had a box of grape tomatoes (that were surprisingly good) that said “Do Not Refrigerate” on the lid. I discovered this the third or fourth time I took the tomatoes out to eat . . . from my fridge. Turns out refrigerating tomatoes breaks down the membranes in the cell walls, making them mushy and powdery.

Moving away from food, the American Dental Association officially says that it’s okay to floss your teeth before or after brushing. However, they note that flossing before brushing may help the fluoride in toothpaste get between teeth.

People seem to disagree about the definition of Morton’s Toe. Some say your second toe just has to be longer than your big toe while others say it’s the lengths of the actual metatarsals that matter. My second toe is, in fact, longer than my big toe on both feet.

The highest scoring soccer game ever was played in 2002 between AS Adema and Stade Olympique L’Emyrne. The final score was 149-0. To protest an earlier refereeing decision, Stade Olympique L’Emyrne scored an own goal every 36 seconds. There were several suspensions and bans handed out for the “unsportsmanlike conduct.”

But first and foremost: If you freeze a banana and throw it in the blender, it comes out tasting like ice cream. This may have been the discovery of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment