Tuesday, September 3, 2013

161 Things Every Cornellian Should Do, roundup

There are some thing on the list of 161 Things that don’t warrant entire posts to themselves, but I wanted to mention them anyway, so here they are.

#10. Test out Olin Library’s musically calibrated steps by throwing stones across them.
I’m not sure I can call them musical in the same sense that a piccolo clarinet or trumpet is musical, but the steps do make nice hollow noises when you kick rocks onto them.

#23. Attend the Apple Festival on the Commons.
Apple Fest is sometime during the fall, and if you can be bothered to make your way down to the Commons, there are performances and vendors selling handmade crafts, jewelry, and yes, apple cider, apple donuts, apple fishcakes . . . okay, not really. I went down with some of the people in my hall, and it was a nice break from the usual drudgery fun and games at Cornell.

#28. Meet Happy Dave from Oakenshields.
Eat at Oakenshields a few times, and more likely than not, you’ll have Dave at the front swiping you in.

#84. Go bowling at Helen Newman Lanes.
Completed this one with some of the pep band/marching band clarinets during a night when bowling was free. Besides having a bowling alley on campus, we also have the climbing wall/bouldering wall, a cinema, canoeing, and trees the Plantations. What else is there to do on Friday nights? (Confession: I hadn't actually bowled before that night. I freely admit I was terrible.)

#109. Do your Freshman Reading Project sometime before you graduate.
Due to a history of having to write essays about terrible books, I actually got this over with during the summer before freshman year without too much whining.

#130. Complain about your freshman writing seminar to no one in particular.
Done, and overdone. Let’s just say that if there was an item titled “Complain about your freshman writing seminar to everyone in particular,” I would have done that one too.

#138. Watch people play Dance Dance Revolution in Appel.
Appel and RPCC (and Noyes, on West campus) like to host nightly programs where they have games, crafts, and/or food for students to enjoy. I usually don’t stop by unless I’m waiting for someone or if they have rebus puzzles, but I have seen people playing DDR at Appel, and some of them are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment