Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The No-Longer-Hypothetical List of Exciting Things that Have Happened to me at Cornell, Spring 2013 edition

The last time I wrote this list, it was about a semester that happened mostly before I started blogging. This semester, I've already written about most of the exciting things that have happened, so going forward, these lists will probably highlight some of my favorite/most thrilling posts from the semester.

1. Field trip – If anyone ever tells you they’d like to go on a day trip with you from Ithaca to Maryland, laugh hysterically (the 6-hour drive one way is stretching the definition of “day trip”), then accept and make them drive. Proceed to sleep for the first four hours of the trip that take place before the sun rises, and enjoy the approximately three hours you’ll have in Maryland. My first away trip with the pep band, scheduling resulted in it being – guess – a day trip to Maryland. It was, however, for the NCAA men’s lacrosse tournament, and we did have a great time.

2. Rock climbing – I don’t think I can narrow this down to one particular moment, but I will say that the time we went to the bouldering wall at Noyes was the most exhausted the class ever was.

Notice that the entire wall is overhung.

3. HEC weekend – Initiation by fire at its finest. For my second event working for Cornell Productions, I worked over fourteen hours in three days and learned the basics of wiring and lighting large spaces for fancy events. Note: involves vast amounts of extension cords and gaff tape. Plus, we were fed ridiculously well.

4. AAIV dessert night – Something I haven’t written about yet. Basically, instead of trying to put together an entire meal (face it; I could probably burn water), everyone brings a dessert to share. So rather than scraping charcoal out of a pot, a friend and I made cookies to contribute to the month’s worth of sugar already being consumed. Since the theme was Color Explosion (I’m not going to go into what the original name of the event was. . . . If you're curious, it had to do with the spelling of "explosion."), Red 40, Yellow 5, and Blue 1 also featured prominently. Naturally, I dressed for the theme by wearing all black. And neon yellow socks. Other than the food and the clothing, it was a fun night of testimonies, musical performances, and a skit of the story of Joseph by the juniors.

5. And finally, the strangely popular inside look into my life – the minifridge edition.

Overall, another good semester, but it seems that this one didn't have as many single exciting events as fall semester. Maybe something to do with the fact that Cornell was frozen into a giant ice cube for three months of “spring” semester. It was more about recurring activities like pep band, climbing, and work, and if I wasn't studying in advance for exams doing homework due the next day in a few hours, I was probably at the band room/Schoellkopf field, the climbing wall, or backstage at Bailey Hall.

Next semester, I get started on physical chemistry, which I’ll be taking at the same time as Mass and Energy Balances and linear algebra. I can barely contain the excitement. No, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment