Monday, June 10, 2013

Milestones

Once Cornell started thawing out, I started trying to go running a little more often. Since I also had a membership and free shoe rental for the climbing wall, I've been more active in the past few months than I have been since . . . oh, eighth grade or so. I might have had more to do with high school sports, but the soccer team cut me, so that was the end of that.

I like running on dirt more than concrete, so I've done all my running at Cornell around the lake so far. Plus, this way I don’t have to cross any roads and no one has to wonder if I’m going to pass out from the exertion. With that as an indicator of my physical fitness, it was actually an accomplishment for me to run two miles without stopping. Since coming home for the summer, I've started trying to add a little mileage, however, the two large hills on my route have something to say about me not walking.

I also finally got a new bike after the back brake on the bike I was riding broke, making it super fun unsafe to ride down the aforementioned large hills. The old bike (which wasn't technically mine) was pink. My new bike is pink and white. The only way it could get any better is if I added pink glittery streamers to the handlebars. (Note: if anyone actually attaches pink glittery streamers to my bike, I will reattach them semi-permanently to the head of the perpetrator and/or the nearest victim. . . . Kidding . . . mostly.)

Anyway, I've been trying to bike for longer distances as well, but again with the **** hills. Insert word of your choice for the asterisks. Personally, I like steep. Actually, it’s more like conditionally steep. Walking up the hill? No problem. Biking up? I hope you didn't need to feel your legs for awhile. I’m hoping to spend the summer going a little further for a little longer. If it doesn't keep raining, I may see if I can hit 100 miles running and biking . . . combined, not each . . . I’m not that crazy. I know some people can run more than that in a week. At this point, I’m not one of them.

On the climbing front, before I left Cornell for the summer, I finally managed to traverse over half the wall without stopping/falling off. Next step: traverse the wall using only natural holds. Once I get some chalk. Yes, it is possible to climb without chalk. No, it isn't always ideal, especially when you go from having your fingers in a hold to plummeting to the ground in approximately 0.001 seconds.

In the meantime, I guess it’s time to hit the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment