Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How I Spent my Winter Break, Part II

“How I Spent my Winter Break” resumes right here.  (See part one by clicking here or by scrolling down while this is still near the top of the front page.)

While theoretically on vacation, I also showcased my baking talent and expertise by not even setting the fire alarm off once while baking/helping to prepare:
Pecan pie – I think I unrolled premade dough, covered it in pecans, and poured the already prepared filling.  I know, you’re already marveling at my (lack of) talent.
Curry puffs – My involvement in this case was mainly entirely rolling dough and cutting out circles.
Chocolate cookies – Again, I was in charge of rolling, this time turning tablespoons of dough into approximate spheres.  However, this was complicated by the fact that for some reason, the dough wasn't dry enough and started melting/oozing everywhere.  Fun.
Coconut macaroons – Here I introduce a new talent: mixing.  I mixed the ingredients, then scooped spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet.
Gingerbread cookies – I not only mixed, but I also rolled out the dough and cut out shapes.  Why was I almost able to make these cookies all by myself?  They came from a mix.
Orange cookies – Back to rolling.
Bread – Continuing to build my skill set, in this recipe I also had to knead.  I hadn't really made bread before, so I didn't know how it would turn out.  It definitely tasted like bread, but it was a lot denser than store bought bread.  Stale yeast, maybe?
Pecan rolls – Probably the most fun recipe yet.  After making (and kneading) the dough, I was in charge of rolling it out into a large rectangle, spreading sugar, cinnamon, and pecans onto it, rolling it up, and cutting it into the individual rolls.
Corn bread – This recipe was so insanely easy that even I couldn't mess it up, although I did almost throw all the wet ingredients into the bowl without first mixing them in a separate bowl . . . completely unnecessary anyway.
Peanut butter cookies – Due to the fact that peanut butter ranks in my top three favorite foods . . . yes, it is a food all by itself, I decided to end my break by making these.  Nothing too much to say about them except that the first batch burnt.  A sad end to some perfectly good peanut butter.

Other than reading and baking, I finished a few projects, did some coloring, and occasionally (as in about three times) decided to practice my clarinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment