Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Apple, apple, watermelon, strawberry

When I was first learning to play the clarinet, one of my music teachers told us how to count rhythms with fruit. It’s one of those funny things you do in band, like imagining you have a string attached to the top of your head that goes up to the ceiling and makes you sit up straight. But about the fruit. Words naturally have their own rhythms, some of which happen to coincide nicely with common musical rhythms. For example, “apple” is segmented into two even syllables that count off eighth notes neatly. We also use peach for quarter notes, pear for half notes, watermelon for sixteenth notes, strawberry for triplets, and blueberry for an eighth note followed by two sixteenth notes.1

The title rhythm notated musically, verbally, and fruit-ically

The fruit was fun. Learning to play right hand C was not. The background you need to know for this involves two things: the key system of the clarinet and my hands. First, my hands. I am the size of a middle schooler. Second, the clarinet key system. The most commonly used key system is the Boehm system, and a handful of notes, including the C mentioned at the top of this paragraph, can be played either with your left or right pinky. When I first started playing in fourth grade, my hand was physically too small to reach the right hand C without much pain and struggle. I chose to avoid much pain and struggle by playing middle C with my left hand all the time. This continued throughout all of middle school and the first half of ninth grade. Then I started taking clarinet lessons.

During my very first lesson, my teacher asked me to play a two octave C scale and instantly noticed I was playing left hand C. She immediately started working to change that, because reasons. Actually, you need to be able to play both right and left hand C so that you can finger certain not uncommon runs and intervals.

Among the many ironies of my life, as I was being forced encouraged to play right hand C, we were preparing for our last concert of the year. One of our pieces was a medley of songs from The Little Mermaid. During “Under the Sea,” the third clarinets play an arpeggio in C, which is our home key2. Except that the arpeggio goes from open G to middle C, a fingering change that moves from all holes open to all fingers on deck. I tried. I managed to get it a couple of times during rehearsal. Then I played the part with left hand C during the concert.

I’ve learned a lot of things in band over the years. I still remember my elementary school band teacher coming into the cafeteria at lunch time to sing solfege with the whole grade. Before every concert in middle school, we were reminded that early is on time. And then there’s all we learned about fingerings, working through tricky rhythms, breathing, shaping the line, balance, intonation, and right hand C. I play it like that by default now. Most of the time.

1Five notes in a beat is “university,” six can be thought of as two triplets smashed together in one beat, and by the time you get to seven or more, you give up counting, fake lots of notes, and come in at the next downbeat.

2It’s our musical happy place. We have no sharps or flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment