Sunday, November 13, 2016

Some People Are Worth Freezing For

In this special Valentine’s Day edition of things to do when it’s zero degrees out, my roommate and I put on four layers of clothing, hats, gloves, and boots, and go for a walk. We were hanging around Cornell for February break and my friend got the idea to take a walk. She invited another of our friends, who declined the invitation (I have no idea why. I only lost feeling in my face as soon as I stepped out of my apartment.), so the two of us set out for the arboretum by ourselves.

Part of the reason for our trip was so that we could go sledding. The arboretum is one of the places the Cornell police department encourages people to sled, and there’s a decent sledding hill, which feels more than decent when you’re biking it, at the end of the entrance road. We joined the few others sledding at the top and prepared to send ourselves hurtling down on a piece of plastic. The snow was pretty dry and packed down so it was a fast ride. I managed to not injure myself, which is always a good thing. After a few runs we continued on our journey.

View from the Newman Overlook

We looped around to the overlook, took some pictures, then began the long trek back to West Campus. By this time, my feet finally started to warm up, which I appreciated, and I could still feel my fingers, so the coldest part of me was my face. I’d still say I was feeling better than the time I was going back to North Campus after pep band and my toes got so cold it took a good fifteen minutes to warm them up. Or the other time I was walking back to West Campus after hockey and the air temperature was below zero with windchill bringing it down near to negative forty. Hockey is worth it.

We arrived back at the top of the slope just in time to see the sunset around three pm five. After ending our journey walking romantically into the sunset, we parted ways to go thaw out. The next day, we participated in more appropriate February activities with our other friends (dinner and Sherlock - the BBC series). And six weeks later when Ithaca was mostly unfrozen, we hiked the Cayuga Trail (again).

Sunset over West Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment