Wednesday, November 30, 2016

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, part 4 of 3

It’s the last day of November. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here’s my annual post.

After four long, crazy, adventure-filled, fun, and busy years at Cornell, I graduated at the end of May. That’s four years of dining hall breakfasts, morning classes in Olin, afternoon recitations in Olin, before-dinner bouldering, evenings at Lynah, nights back in Olin, midnight snacks, and late nights with only a roommate and a P-chem book for company. I couldn’t have done it – not so well or with so much enjoyment – without a lot of people.

So thank you to the following people, listed in alphabetical order by height:

The Cornell Big Red Pep Band, and in particular the clarinet section. There’s no other group I’d rather watch sprint football, lacrosse, field hockey, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, tennis, or hockey with.

AAIV (Asian American InterVarsity) and SCF (Summer Christian Fellowship), for Wednesday night barbeque, Thursday and Friday night large group, and prayers and lessons every day. Even if no event, whether big of small, ever started on time, which drove might have driven me slightly crazy. Also thanks to my GUPpie for advice and encouragement over meals for three years and email after that.

Bethel Grove Bible Church, my home-away-from-home church, for hymns, sermons, bagels and apple juice, and the people I met and got to know during my time there.

Cornell Outdoor Education, for four great PE classes and many hours at Lindseth and Noyes. Keep calm and climb on.

The Robert Frederick Smith School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, including the office and building staff who kept Olin running smoothly, the grad students who shared our space and TA’d us, and the professors who taught us everything we never wanted to know.


The ChemE class of 2016. After more hours in Olin than we could count, three-hour-long prelim marathons, beating Aspen into submission, and surviving Unit Ops lab and senior design, I just have one thing to say: We did it.

The 4D Ricktatorship. Rick, for keeping us all in line and sharing wine. Coral, for late night kitchen table homework sessions/snacks and mutual understanding over lab woes. Sasha, for being the sane one in the apartment. Daryl, for 7-11 ice cream, robots, and being our housecat. And T Dawg, for Wegmans runs, planning AAIV events, and being my roommate. (And Michonne, for completing the roommate triangle and for mutual enjoyment of The Walking Dead, beer, random rambling, Sherlock, “Hardware Store,” and unnecessarily long hikes.)

And finally, all the other friends and family who had meals, embarked on adventures, and suffered through classes with me, listened to me rant, paid my tuition, and generally put up with me.

To everyone: Thank you very much for all the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment