Thursday, December 31, 2020

Thank U [2020], Next

There was a global pandemic, wildfires, murder hornets, lockdowns, protests to open businesses, protests to close businesses, kidnapping plots, a presidential election, and more. We stayed at home, masked up, and social distanced. People baked bread, started gardens, ordered takeout, dined outdoors, distance learned, worked from home, had virtual celebrations, threw drive-through parties, and (finally or suddenly) found themselves in December.

Life for me has continued much as it has for the past nine months, except with colder temperatures, less sun, and Christmas lights. My local NBC channel, however, started the month off by airing the wrong Jeopardy! episode on Tuesday, December 1. I completed my mini-quest to photograph all the canoe sculptures the next day, Wednesday, December 2, and worked on finalizing simulation results and writing my next manuscript throughout the week. Here we go again. The Revolution’s pursuit of their first MLS cup continues, as they suffered a 0-1 defeat at the hands feet of the Columbus Crew on Sunday, December 6, ending their 2020 playoff run and season.

Hiking at sunset

The week of Monday, December 7 was another normal week of research. It got pretty warm for December (mid 40s) at the end of the week so I went out for a couple walks/hikes and discovered that some individual or individuals had put up ornaments on one of the trails that I visit occasionally, which was a fun surprise. Saturday, December 12 was grocery day, and on Sunday, December 13 I made a batch of brownies.

It was back to work on Monday, December 14, and I also watched a virtual performance of Handel’s Messiah put together by UMS (University Musical Society). The video combined recordings from past years, a virtual chorus (plus organ) from this year, and commentary from the music director. I might have tried to go to the live performance this year – I missed it last year for Tuba Christmas – but obviously that didn’t happen. On Tuesday, December 15, I got out for a quick walk around North Campus, which was indeed quiet with only a few days of finals left in the semester. I finished season 4 of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Wednesday, December 16, as well as turned the last of a bag of slightly wrinkly apples into applesauce, and then made a pot of curry on Thursday, December 17. After going over proofs of my paper, it was published online on Friday, December 18. Four years of work turned into eleven pages plus citations.

Snow at Traver Creek

On Monday, December 21, my lab had our last (virtual) group meeting of 2020. I took a couple pre-Christmas hikes on Tuesday, December 22 and Wednesday, December 23. I went out right after lunch on Wednesday to try and beat the rain, and I was almost successful. Christmas Day, Friday, December 25, was uneventful for me. Ann Arbor did end up with a white Christmas, but the temperatures haven’t consistently remained below freezing so since then it’s been grey, gross, and muddy outside. I’ve been hiding out in my apartment watching Netflix, intermittently doing research, and working on cross stitch, my latest old-person hobby (joining solving crossword puzzles, eating soft foods, and watching Jeopardy!). Because it’s been so gross outside (it would actually be better if the ground went ahead and completely froze already; it’s not good for the trails to be constantly wet and muddy), I gave in and ordered cross stitch supplies to entertain myself this winter. Although I didn’t need them by a deadline, USPS delivered within a week across the country, saving my things from package purgatory in Allen Park outside of Detroit. Today, on Thursday, December 31, the last day of 2020, I took one last hike and will bake a final batch of cookies for the year, then it’s onward to 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment