Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day

It’s a once-in-four-years opportunity to post on Leap Day, so here goes. I had some errands to take care of, as well as some things I wanted to do, plus a couple more things that kind of needed to get done (like cooking dinner), so I was occupied all day, and now I’m writing this at 11:30 at night.

After breakfast, my day started at the grocery store. I didn’t find anything good in the clearance section, but the chicken I usually get was buy one, get one (of equal or lesser price) free, so I saved 37% on my grocery bill. I returned to my apartment to drop the food off, then immediately headed back out to catch the bus to central campus to return a movie to the library. Michigan’s spring break officially started at noon, so central campus was relatively quiet and I passed by a number of students with suitcases heading toward the transit center to catch the Michigan Flyer to the airport.

At the library, I exchanged my DVD for Captain Marvel and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (a rewatch) and borrowed a couple of books as well. I didn’t buy anything at the Friends of the Library book sale last week, but this week at the bookshop I found a Pixar movies puzzle and picked up a couple mass market sci-fi/fantasy paperbacks from the 1980s. I was looking for ridiculous, so one of them is about breaking Newton’s Third Law with a nice dose of conspiracy and the other is about slaying Morkeleb the dragon. I was really tempted to get the one about a space delinquent in space jail solely because the blurb on the back ended with “but then the space pirates arrived,” but I resisted.

Back at my apartment, I had a grilled cheese sandwich and mandarin oranges for lunch, then baked up a batch of banana walnut muffins both because the bananas were too ripe to eat and when I baked banana muffins a few weeks ago I meant to add walnuts, had the walnuts on the counter, and forgot to put the walnuts in. By the time I finished baking and cleaning the kitchen, it was about 2:45 pm, around time for the Revolution’s first game of their 25th season. On the same day that the MLS season started, the men’s teams of ECAC hockey were finishing their regular season. So I watched the Revolution starting their season, followed by the Cornell men’s hockey team ending theirs, both on ESPN+, where for just $4.99 a month, you too can watch obscure sports that 15 other people care about.

One of those teams gives me high blood pressure. The other is currently USA Today’s number two ranked men’s college hockey team in the nation. Guess which is which. If you need a hint, the Revolution got right back into disappointing their fans by losing to the Montreal Impact 1-2 and Cornell men’s hockey enters playoff season in good form, having defeated Clarkson (ranked #7) 5-1 on senior night. In between games, I practiced for an upcoming concert. In between hockey periods, I cooked/ate dinner, and though the broadcast cuts to commercials during the period breaks, I did hear the Cornell pep band play the first three (of six) verses of the Alma Mater for senior night. After the hockey game, I did another round of dishes, put together a bit of my puzzle, and wrote this post. Good night, and Happy Leap Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment