Saturday, November 30, 2019

Fall at the Arboretum

My latest quest was to find fall colors at the Arboretum, but it’s not like I really need excuses to go stomping through the mud. While the weather was still considered tolerable (and downright nice some weeks) by the majority of Ann Arbor, I took to wandering through the Arboretum after church on Sundays. I wasn’t expecting much, because unlike New England, Ann Arbor lacks 1) hills, so you don’t get good views of expanses of trees, and 2) maple trees, which affects the yellow/red color balance. Yes, it is possible to be persnickety about fall colors. Nevertheless, it still looked nice in Ann Arbor, just not as spectacular as miles of rolling hills covered in yellow, orange, and red.

A fall colored tree

Early in the season, there wasn’t much, just some isolated branches and tips of trees. After a couple weeks, I found a whole tree. This was one of the days when it was too nice to not be outside, though, so it was still worth being at the Arboretum, and the very tall grass was still there. A few weeks later, we hit what was probably peak color. I had a concert the week after that, and then was heading out of town the following week, so it was definitely the peak color that I saw. The more forested trails were covered in leaves, and a lot of the beeches/elms/sycamores/whatever were nice and yellow.

Fall-ish trails

View from the overlook

And then I went away for a week and came back to snow. Six months of winter, here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment