Monday, July 23, 2018

April Showers

After the freezing rain came the normal temperature rain, and after that came the flowers. Because April showers bring May thunderstorms flowers. Following the purchase of my camera, I read a couple of photography books, but the best way for me to get better at taking photos was to start taking an excessive number a lot of photos. Therefore, my camera started coming along with me on my Saturday errands, which neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stopped me from.

Top left: Tulips in my backyard (leftovers from some previous tenant)
Bottom left: Purple flowers (possibly some sort of violet?) on central campus
Right: Pink flowering tree (vaguely cherry blossom-esque) by the library

Top: Butterfly weed at the arboretum
Bottom let: Dandelions.  Everywhere.
Bottom right: Some pink flower that was labelled at the arboretum but
of course I wasn't paying attention to what the sign said

In case you couldn’t tell, I know a lot almost nothing about floriculture. The only flower I’m pretty sure I managed to identify was the butterfly weed, because there are approximately two species of bright orange wildflowers. The tulips and dandelions don’t count because those are basically common knowledge. Thanks to a seventh-grade science project, I can, however, identify a couple dozen species of trees that grow in New England. We had to collect leaves and seeds from at least twenty-five deciduous and coniferous trees and look up other information about them (the scientific name for the red maple is Acer rubrum, in case you were wondering; don’t ask why that’s still in my memory). Turns out that was one of the projects that (somewhat) has real life applications, like tracking the phases of the moon and writing checks in elementary school. Unlike, say, fugacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment