Monday, January 16, 2017

Strawberry Fields

Not much to say here besides “I went strawberry picking over the summer.” I’ve also been apple, pear, peach, and blueberry picking. We went to a farm reasonably near to my house on a nice (read: hot) summer morning and picked a lot of strawberries.

A lot of pounds of strawberries

After the strawberry picking, we had a picnic lunch and got apple cider donuts. If you’re ever in New England and someone offers you a fresh apple cider donut, the correct answer is yes. If someone offers you a not-fresh apple cider donut, the correct answer is still yes, but you would be missing out on a bit of the experience. I also have strong opinions about Dunkin’ Donuts vs. Tim Hortons vs. Krispy Kreme donuts1. Because donuts are an important part of a nutritious diet2.

Next to the picnic area there was a playground, and also goats. We visited with the goats (and chickens, and a very angry/noisy bird-thing) for awhile before heading home where I returned to spending most of my time sprawled across the living room.

Goats

1We ate at Tim Hortons a couple times while driving around Canada3. Their special donuts can be pretty good but I’m not sure about the others. I had a chocolate glazed donut that was below average. I wouldn’t refuse it, but I wouldn’t seek one out. With one exception, I’ve only had glazed donuts from Krispy Kreme, and never hot. Those are definitely good, but I hail from the land of Dunkin’ Donuts, so I’m contractually obliged to remain irrationally attached to their donuts. Same for Hoodsie Cups (with the wooden spoon) and Carvel ice cream cakes. All are good, but you don’t have to look very hard for better ice cream or donuts. One last note in the donut debate – Wegmans makes surprisingly good filled donuts. Their bakery department also makes a number of their cakes and cookies with naturally colored frosting. To sum up, Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme both make average to good donuts. Go to Wegmans for filled donuts. Actually, just go to Wegmans because Wegmans is great. And yes, I realize I wrote more about donuts than strawberries in a post about strawberry picking.

2Not scientifically proven.

3Most of my family would not be described as “food people.” Once a meal is cooked with a certain level of competence, we’re good, which is why we ended up at Tim Hortons multiple times rather than any number of local eateries. I can, however, talk extensively about dessert. See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment