Tuesday, October 29, 2013

T-shirts and My Desk

More quasi-related items, except not really this time. Both items were involved in my weekend. I wore clothing and I sat at my desk because that’s where my laptop is. Beyond that . . .

Saturday morning I slept in, thanks to another late Thursday night doing Mathematica. I had most of it done before I went to work for Cornell Productions, and when I got back, I thought I just had to type a few lines of code quickly into Mathematica and print everything out. I was wrong. One does not do anything quickly in Mathematica.

Saturday afternoon, a friend and I went to the Cornell-Brown men’s soccer game. We’d been wanting to go to a game and they were giving out free t-shirts (and food) as an incentive to get students there, so we thought it was a good time to go. We got there fairly early, but there was already a line to get in, and by the time we entered the bleachers where they were distributing shirts, they’d run out of smalls. I figure that out of 400 shirts, they ordered about seven smalls.

Sadly, not only did Cornell end up losing the game 1-0, but I also ended up with a slightly too-large t-shirt. That’s the story behind the ill-fitting t-shirt.

The story behind my desk is actually about the front of my desk. It’s backwards. There’s nothing wrong with it besides the fact that the top drawer sticks, but I do have a problem with it. Here it is, specifically cleaned up for this picture:



And why would I like it much better if it looked like this?


I’m left handed. The desk is set up so that the chair and computer go on the left side of the desk. For right handed people, this works just fine because there’s plenty of space to the right of the computer for them to work. Note that the drawers block me from shifting my chair/laptop over to the right and freeing up space to work on my left. So I can either work on top of my keyboard, which leads to unintended consequences like clicking on the “You just won a free trip to Siberia” ads as well as an inability to type or I can write on the right side anyway and practice my contortionist skills. If I dislocate my shoulder, you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment