Saturday, March 2, 2013

National Peanut Butter Lovers' Day

As it turns out, March 1st is National Peanut Butter Lovers’ Day.  As peanut butter is pretty much my favorite food, I somewhat ironically packed myself a peanut-butter-free lunch on Friday and the peanut butter at RPCC wasn't out when I went for dinner.  To make up for it, I guess I’ll have to celebrate for the rest of the year by putting peanut butter on everything.  (Why have I not known about this day until now?)

As far as the rest of lunch packing goes, I've been eating plenty of apples.  I've been getting Empire apples from the dining halls and I really like these apples.  They’re sweet, but slightly sour, and crisp.  If you ask me, the only place mushy apples belong is in pies or other desserts.  They don’t even turn brown after sitting in my lunchbox for a few hours and I don’t do anything special to them, unless mauling the slices with my paring knife counts.  Plus, the Empire was first grown by a nutritionist from Cornell.  Because Cornell is New York’s land grant college and we have lots of apple orchards and cows.

Continuing with the fruit, I realized that I haven’t had any kind of fresh berry since I was home for winter break.  My fruit supplies from the dining hall consist of apples, bananas, oranges, sometimes pears, and plums when they’re more in season.  If someone would like to magically send me some fresh raspberries, that would be greatly appreciated.

Keeping away scurvy with oranges.  Lunch and a snack for after rock climbing
(not Friday's lunch; this one has peanut butter).
One thing about packing my own lunch is that I then have to wash my container.  Since I realized that I could take out one of the inner trays if I was going to pack both sections full of fruit anyway, it’s been one less piece to wash, but still . . . (The reason I didn't pack peanut butter on Friday was actually so that I could just rinse everything instead of getting out the sponge and detergent.)  This is what happens when you’re a college student using exactly one lunch container.  Also, I should really stop letting dairy products dry on my spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment