Monday, December 24, 2012

Clarinets and Chemical Engineering

I've been considering the idea of starting a blog for awhile now, and finally decided to go through with it.  To start off: I'm a freshman engineering student at Cornell University (where the title of the blog comes from) planning to major in chemical engineering.  When I'm not working on problem sets or at office hours, I can usually be found with the pep band, hanging out with members of AAIV, or in the dining hall.  One of my better decisions since coming to college was to join the clarinet section of the Big Red Pep Band, and I have since spent more time at sporting events than in my First-Year Writing Seminar.  Within one semester, I have managed to play at field hockey, volleyball, basketball, hockey, and a men's lacrosse alumni dinner (I would have added soccer to that list, but I had a prelim on the same night as the game).

The other group that I'm part of is AAIV, short for Asian American InterVarsity.  AAIV is a Christian group with weekly large group meetings as well as various small groups that meet throughout the week.  The theme for the fall semester has been "What are you thirsty for?" and we've had speakers come to talk to us about being thirsty for love, purpose, success, and how these fit into a life that reflects the Christian faith.

Aside from school and band, I enjoy kayaking, hiking, camping, and most other activities that have to do with any combination of dirt, digging, and being outside.  I'm not sure how often I'll be posting, but hopefully whenever something exciting happens (being in Ithaca, without a car, exciting will mean something along the lines of visiting the Olin Hall distillation column or going to hockey games).  Anyway, I'm sure my nonexistent readership won't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment