Monday, March 11, 2013

Band Sightings

(Or more accurately, band hearings, but anyway  . . .)  It’s always funny how you start noticing things once they've been brought to your attention.  Take, for example, the fact that we recently reintroduced the song “Let it Whip” in pep band.  A week or so afterward, I was at RPCC buying milk (and probably cereal).  As I was leaving, I noticed the music they had playing and thought, “This sounds familiar.”  It was “Let it Whip.”

Then a couple Sundays ago after church, I was at the climbing wall with a friend.  While I was working on traversing the wall, I stopped for a moment and realized that I knew the song that was playing (the  staff at the climbing wall usually have someone’s music device playing).  This was particularly exciting because I don’t listen to much music with words.  Anyway, the song was “Are you Gonna be my Girl?” another piece from our pep band folder.

And then last Friday I was working at Bailey Hall (more to come on that) and before the show they had music playing to entertain anyone who decided to show up early.  Most of it was jazz that all sounded alike I didn’t recognize, but I’m almost certain one of the pieces was “Sandunga,” except more jazzy than the pep band plays it.

The last band sighting has to do with MATLAB.  Our MATLAB professor likes to emphasize graphics, even in beginning programming, so by now we know how to set up figure windows.  It goes as follows:

close all       % Closes previous windows
figure          % Opens a new figure window
axis equal off  % Sets x- and y-axes equal, turns axes off
hold on         % Keeps next plot commands in same figure window

What I really want to do looks more like this (without above comments):

close all
figure
axis equal off
hold on         % I’m Coming

“Hold on I’m Coming” is a song in the pep band folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment