Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi Day

As of right now, I do not have any pie, but I do have some very exciting pie charts. A couple weeks ago I tracked/estimated the amount of time per week I spend on various activities. I was either in class or doing homework/class related activities for about 47 hours, I got just under 56 hours of sleep, I spent about 10 hours eating, and the remaining 57 hours of the week were spread out among a large number of other activities.

Here’s what the pie chart looks like (click to zoom in):
Other includes everything from travelling to and from class, church, rock climbing , pep band, going to see Frozen, listening to the Revolution game on the radio, and blogging, among other things.  What’s underrepresented in this particular week is pep band, because I ended up having to skip most of the events to do problem sets and go to office hours.

Then I decided to break down my class time to see how much time I spent on each class. In terms of lectures and discussions, I have 2 and a half hours of biomolecular engineering, 3 hours and 20 minutes of physical chemistry, 3 hours and 40 minutes of physical chemistry lab, 4 hours and 25 minutes of fluid mechanics, and I’m supposed to have 2 and a half hours of economics. I say supposed to because my TA never showed up for discussion. Class time total for the week: 15 hours, 50 minutes.

That was added to any homework, studying, or prelims for the week, which included a p-chem prelim, an econ prelim, 7 hours of fluids homework on Thursday, and 6 hours of bio homework on Friday. It was a fun week, but aren't they all?

Here’s the pie chart for the breakdown of my class time:
Even with a p-chem prelim instead of a problem set, I think the numbers came out about the same as usual. We have bio problem sets due about every other week, so that number can vary a lot. As for fluids . . . I have no words to sum up this class.

So to close, have a Happy Pi Day. I have the entire afternoon free, but don’t worry, my next round of problem sets should be assigned in a few hours.

1 comment:

  1. A simple pi machine.
    http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/pi/

    ReplyDelete